Home » Soft addictions are not a sin, but attempts to take care of ourselves using things.

Soft addictions are not a sin, but attempts to take care of ourselves using things.

Who Is In Control?:
Who Is Master? – Part 3 

Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 10:23-33

Key Verse: 1 Corinthians 6:12

“Everything is permissible for me”—but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”—but I will not be mastered by anything.

The Apostle Paul makes a bold statement: “I will not be mastered by anything.”  Here is the key to living life in the fullness that God intends, not being mastered (enslaved) by anything.  A Harris Poll revealed that 91% of Americans admit to having soft addictions.  Author Judith Wright, in her book The Soft Addiction Solution, believes that the other 9% are still in denial, because she had never met anyone who did not have a soft addiction.

            Soft addictions are not a sin, but rather, misguided attempts to take care of ourselves using things.  The problem is soft addictions don’t refresh us, they drain us.  We continually go to them hoping this time they will do it for us; only to be disappointed again.  This Harris Poll revealed the top ten soft addictions: 1. Procrastination, 2. Watching too much TV, 3. Overworking, 4. Acting moody, 5. Over eating, 6. Too much coffee, 7. Shopping impulsively, 8. Daydreaming excessively, 9. Complaining excessively, 10. Surfing the internet excessively.

            The key to soft addictions is not focusing on the activity, but the amount of time or amount of consumption we allow it to have in our lives.  Note how many times the poll uses the word “excessively”!  These soft addictions are socially acceptable activities and are needed in reasonable amounts.  Unlike hard addictions that can be given up, we must eat food.  We must shop and use media for daily life.  Soft addictions usually can’t be given up completely.  They must be managed.  (More tomorrow.)

Father, I want to make the bold statement that I will not be mastered by anything.  Grant me strength to overcome.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*